SoPublishing has a rare and exciting opportunity for an exceptional journalist to join its award-winning Editorial Hub team as staff writer.
Gloucestershire’s most innovative media company, SoPublishing is a hugely ambitious independent publishing group, established almost ten years ago by two pioneering journalists on a mission to bring online media bang up-to-date in the regions.
Based on Cheltenham’s Imperial Square, we produce two market-leading titles, the award-winning lifestyle flagship, SoGlos, and Gloucestershire’s first online wedding magazine, SoGlosWeddings – reaching a combined audience of 120,000 readers, 40,000 newsletter subscribers and 35,000 social media followers every month.
SoPublishing has also recently expanded into Bristol with the soft launch of SoBristol and SoBristolWeddings, which are both due to be officially launched in 2017.
Smart, stylish and effortlessly user-friendly, our four titles provide quality advertising opportunities which are proven to help the best businesses attract new customers, alongside exceptional editorial content exclusively written by journalists.
About the role
This is a full-time, permanent position based at SoPublishing’s central Cheltenham office for an experienced journalist wishing to take on a pivotal role in the Editorial Hub.
- Researching and writing sharp and entertaining copy, particularly news articles, as well as hot lists, interviews, event previews and commercial advertorials
- Regularly publishing content through SoPublishing’s own content management system
- Proactively hunting for great content, with the competitive spirit to secure breaking news stories and exclusive interviews
- Producing and scheduling rich and engaging social media content, particularly for Facebook and Twitter
- Liaising with clients about sponsored editorial and advertorial
- Building and maintaining relationships with industry contacts and PRs
- Some picture research and editorial administration
The successful candidate will be a journalist with previous experience, who is competitive, hardworking and ambitious to take their journalism career to the next level – hitting the ground running as part of a small, dynamic team.
Skills and experience:
- Exceptional writer with an excellent command of the English language
- Degree educated, with previous employment in an editorial role
- Experience of writing editorial news stories
- Ideally experience of writing advertorials or commercial copy
- Excellent social media skills
- Good knowledge of Gloucestershire
- Working knowledge of media law
- Passionate about being first to a story
- Impeccable sense of what gets SoGlos readers clicking
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude
- Overflowing with creative ideas
- Hardworking, diligent and able to work on your own initiative
- Organised, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work quickly and under pressure to deadline
- Confident on the phone and in person
Salary, commission and perks
- Basic salary £18,000 to £22,000 pro rata – depending on experience
- Full 28 days paid holiday
- An additional day’s holiday for every year with the company
- Your birthday off (cakes are on you!)
- Structured career progression and personal performance reviews
- Regular #SoGlosSocial team nights out and #SoGlosChallenge away days – from wine tasting dinners to cheering on Gloucester Rugby from our box
- The chance to work with a fantastic team in our prestigious town centre HQ
- Not forgetting free fruit!
Email email@example.com with the subject line ‘staff writer’, including your CV, examples of your work and a brief introduction – as well as 100 words on your favourite place in Gloucestershire.
The closing date for applications is 12pm on Monday 31 October 2016, however, we will be shortlisting and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis up to this date. All applications and enquiries will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.