Offering the chance for aspiring journalists to gain a practical insight into the exciting world of digital media, applications to become a SoPublishing journalism intern are now being accepted.
Gloucestershire’s most innovative media company, SoPublishing is a hugely ambitious independent publishing group, established almost 10 years ago by two pioneering journalists on a mission to bring online media bang up-to-date in the regions.
Based on Cheltenham’s Imperial Square, we produce two market-leading titles, the award-winning lifestyle flagship, SoGlos, and Gloucestershire’s first online wedding magazine, SoGlosWeddings – with two new Bristol titles recently soft launched and due to be officially launched in 2017.
Smart, stylish and effortlessly user-friendly, our titles provide exceptional editorial content exclusively written by journalists, as well as quality advertising opportunities which are proven to help the best businesses in and around the county attract new customers.
About the roles
Two internships are available: a lifestyle journalism internship on SoGlos and a fashion and beauty journalism internship on SoGlosWeddings.
Both roles involve:
- Researching and writing event and venue listings
- Progressing to researching and writing by-lined event previews and hot lists
- Potential to conduct and write by-lined features, interviews and reviews
- Training and experience using SoPublishing’s bespoke content management system
- Training and experience using social media tools and applications
- Mentoring and guidance from SoPublishing’s experienced journalists
- Opportunity to build a portfolio of editorial work
- Reference and certificate upon successful completion
Based at SoPublishing’s central Cheltenham office on Imperial Square, internships are for a minimum of 20 days with applicants expected to commit to at least one day per week.
We hope you’ll offer to take your turn making the coffees and there will be some admin involved, but the aim of the programme is to give interns a hands-on, structured and enjoyable insight into the publishing industry as part of our small and hard-working team.
While we can’t promise there will be job at the end of the internship, two current members of the Editorial Hub team have gained full-time editorial roles since joining SoPublishing as interns – with potential employment prospects if we are impressed by the right intern.
The internship is voluntary, but travel and lunch expenses of up to £10 per day is available.
You are a trustworthy, diligent and hardworking team player, passionate about the prospect of gaining a career in the media industry and keen to go the extra mile to make that happen.
You should also have:
- A passion for media, demonstrated through previous experience or relevant academic study
- A strong interest in lifestyle or fashion and beauty journalism
- An excellent command of the English language and a flair for writing
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn and develop
Email email@example.com with details of which internship you would like to apply for and your availability, attaching your CV, as well as examples of your work, if available.
There is no closing date, with internships offered on a roling basis to the very best candidates.