Offering the chance for aspiring journalists and social media savvy individuals to gain a practical insight into the exciting world of digital media, applications to become a SoPublishing journalism and social media intern are accepted on a rolling basis.
Gloucestershire’s most innovative media company, SoPublishing is a successful independent publishing company, established 12 years ago by two pioneering journalists on a mission to bring online media bang up-to-date in the region.
Based on Cheltenham’s Imperial Square, we produce the market-leading and award-winning lifestyle magazine, SoGlos.
Smart, stylish and effortlessly user-friendly, SoGlos provides exceptional editorial content exclusively written by journalists, as well as quality advertising opportunities which are proven to help the best businesses in and around Gloucestershire attract new customers and grow.
About the roles
SoPublishing offers a journalism and social media internship working on SoGlos for one or two days a week for 10 / 20 consecutive weeks for successful applicants.
The role involves:
- Researching and writing event and venue listings
- Progressing to researching and writing by-lined articles
- Editorial admin tasks
- Social media writing and scheduling
- Training and experience using SoPublishing’s bespoke content management system
- Training and experience using social media tools and applications
- Mentoring and guidance from SoPublishing’s experienced journalists
- Opportunity to build a portfolio of editorial work
- Reference and certificate upon successful completion
You will be based at SoPublishing’s central Cheltenham office on Imperial Square and your hours will be 9am to 5pm, with 30 minutes for a lunch break.
We hope you’ll offer to take your turn making the coffees and there will be some admin involved, but the aim of the programme is to give interns a hands-on, structured and enjoyable insight into the publishing industry as part of our small and hard-working team.
The internship is voluntary, but travel expenses of £200 are available, upon successful completion of the full 20-days internship.
You are a trustworthy, diligent and hardworking team player, passionate about the prospect of gaining a career in media or social media and keen to go the extra mile to make that happen.
You should also have:
- A passion for media, demonstrated through previous experience or relevant academic study
- A strong interest in lifestyle or local journalism
- A working knowledge of social media
- An excellent command of the English language and a flair for writing
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn and develop
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your availability and your CV, as well as examples of your work, if available.
There is no closing date, with internships offered on a rolling basis to the very best candidates.