SoPublishing is recruiting for one of Gloucestershire’s most exciting journalism roles and is on the hunt for an exceptional candidate to join its Editorial Hub as deputy editor.
Based at SoPublishing’s Cheltenham office, our deputy editor will enjoy a pivotal role in the team – driving SoGlos and SoGlosWeddings forward as Gloucestershire’s leading lifestyle and wedding titles, continuing to grow our readership and social media following, producing an array of content, as well as leading day-to-day editorial activity and the editorial team.
The successful candidate will be an exceptional writer and social media master, keen to take their journalism career to the next level – hitting the ground running as part of our small, dynamic team.
Gloucestershire’s most innovative media company, SoPublishing is an ambitious independent publishing group, established ten years ago by two pioneering journalists on a mission to bring online media bang up-to-date in the regions.
Based on Cheltenham’s prestigious Imperial Square, we produce two market-leading titles, Gloucestershire’s online lifestyle magazine, SoGlos, and Gloucestershire’s online wedding magazine, SoGlosWeddings – reaching a combined audience of more than 110,000 readers, 40,000 newsletter subscribers and 45,000 social media followers every month.
SoGlos celebrated its 10-year anniversary in November 2017 with a prestigious #soglos10 event at Pittville Pump Room, where the brand new SoGlos Gloucestershire Lifestyle Awards were also unveiled – with nominations opening in January 2018.
Smart, stylish and effortlessly user-friendly, our titles provide quality advertising opportunities which are proven to help businesses attract new customers, alongside exceptional editorial content exclusively written by journalists.
- Researching and writing sharp and entertaining original editorial articles and content marketing – from hot lists and news articles to interviews, seasonal guides and reviews
- Managing the Editorial Hub and overseeing editorial staff, leading by example
- Liaising with Advertising Hub team members and clients to suggest and deliver creative campaign ideas and services
- Proactively monitoring, predicting and quickly reacting to the Gloucestershire news agenda – contributing potentially viral content ideas which our readers will read, like and share
- Planning and executing social media campaigns to grow Facebook, Instagram and Twitter followings
- Being an ambassador for SoGlos and SoGlosWeddings out and about in the county
- Contributing and executing creative ideas to drive our titles forward and stay ahead of our competitors
Skills and experience
- Previous employment in an editorial role, ideally for a local or lifestyle title
- Exceptional writer with an excellent command of the English language
- Excellent working knowledge of social media and viral content
- Experience writing entertaining content marketing / advertorial content
- Experience writing sharp, snappy reviews
- Understanding of SEO
- Experience using a CMS
- Good working knowledge of media law, in particular copyright
- Some experience of managing staff or freelancers
- Passionate about being first to a story with a strong news sense
- Confident on the phone and in person
- Impeccable sense of what gets our readers clicking
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude
- Overflowing with creative ideas
- Hardworking, diligent and able to work on your own initiative
- Organised, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work quickly and under pressure to deadline
- Passion for digital media and Gloucestershire lifestyle
Salary and perks
- Basic salary £22,000 to £25,000 per annum, depending on experience
- Our core office hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, but some evening and weekend hours can occasionally be expected due to the nature of the work
- Full 28 days paid holiday
- An additional day’s holiday for every year with the company
- Your birthday off (cakes are on you!)
- Regular team outings, from #SoGlosReviews to cheering on Gloucester Rugby from our box
- The chance to work with a fantastic team in our prestigious town centre HQ
- Not forgetting free fruit!
This is initially a fixed 12-month contract to provide maternity cover, but is likely to result in a permanent position as the business and team continues to grow.
Please email your CV, a brief introduction and 100 words on the best meal you’ve ever enjoyed in Gloucestershire to Ruth Brophy, PA to group publisher, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Friday 1 December 2017, however, we will be shortlisting and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis, so please don’t delay in submitting your application. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Please note, we will not be using recruitment agencies to fill this position.